Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Quick scout's notes about Charleston


On Gary Sanchez: Oh, I like him a lot. He really can throw. His thing is he can throw – 60 arm – his footwork on the throws is really good. He’s regressed a little bit for me in his receiving skills. I think he’s athletic enough. For me, he can catch. He’s not going to be a great defender, but he’s going to throw out some runners and he’ll be able to catch.

The bat’s good. The bat might be as good as Montero’s. I think he’s an everyday catcher at the least. I like him a lot.

Receiving for you, better or worse than Posada? Probably on par with Posada, but I think he might have a better arm than Jorge – at least the last few years of Jorge. He’s better than Montero. He’s definitely better than Montero.

On Mason Williams: Exciting, electric. He can play center field. He can run. He’s wiry strong. He’s got deceptive power. I think he needs to learn how to go deeper in counts, but he’s young. I think he’s an everyday center fielder.  He’s an everyday guy for me.

He can play center, he’s going to hit, he’s going to hit with some power. He still needs work on his baserunning, his jumps. The biggest thing is his plate discipline, but it’s not awful. It’s not like there’s no pitch recognition there, it’s just that he needs to be more patient. I think that will come. He’s an everyday guy for me.

He’s got an arrogance to his game, but it struck me as a good arrogance, like ‘Hey, I can do this. I can play.’ It’s like a good cockiness.

On Tyler Austin: I know he’s put up big numbers in that league, but I think he’s an extra outfielder. I don’t think he’s an everyday guy. There’s a little bit of a hitch in the swing. You can get above his hands and he swings and misses. I know he’s a young player, but he’ll swing and miss at average fastballs sometimes and it’s like, ‘Wow, he should have gotten to that.’

He’s a fringy defender. His routes were kind of inconsistent. With that said, he’s got juice in his bat. He doesn’t miss mistakes. He’ll drive mistakes. I think he’ll be a fourth outfielder but a productive guy. I don’t see everyday corner production out of him.  

On Cito Culver: He can really defend, but he can’t hit. Don’t really love the swing. Don’t really love the approach. He doesn’t drive the ball enough, but he can really defend. He can go get it, he can throw it. He’s got really quick hands. You’ve got a really good defender, but I don’t think he’s ever going to hit. 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great insight, thx

August 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM 
Anonymous pengobatan asam lambung said...

blogwalking

August 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's wrong about Austin; he's an everyday guy. Culver appears to be a good field/no hit shortstop but he's still young enough where a few things could come together & he becomes a productive hitter. I like Culver enough & Austin a lot as he too will get smarter & will refine that swing. The scout's got problems w/Austin's routes? The guy's been an outfielder for less than a full season; give me a break. Austin's overall game will get better; I beg to disagree w/the scout.

August 15, 2012 at 3:42 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could read these all day!

August 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home