Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Wrapping up a great day

The Thunder topped Harrisburg tonight, 4-1, and there were two obvious shining stars: Dan Brewer and D.J. Mitchell. Brewer's three-run shot gave Trenton the edge it needed, and Mitchell continued his excellent work since the All-Star break.

Brewer credited a lot of his recent success -- he's now 16 of his last 34 (.471/.537/1.184) with 10 RBIs in his last 10 games --to a change hitting coach Frank Menechino made in his stance.

“Ever since the break, Frank and I have kind of evaluated my first half and where my swing was at, We made an adjustment with my stance, and it’s really helping me out, it’s helping me stay shorter."

"My approach mentally, especially, has been a big key. I’ve hit open my entire life, to be honest, and I closed it off and shortened my stride. It felt like I was facing right field (at first). But now, it feels pretty comfortable to me. It’s really helping me stay inside the ball and let my hands work a lot more.”

After Alfredo Aceves, in Trenton for the first of (as he tells it) at least two rehab starts, left, Mitchell entered. The Clemson alum tossed six innings of stellar baseball, and allowed just one unearned run in the process. He got 10 groundouts, six strikeouts, one pickoff and a flyout during his appearance. In summation, that's a 10:1 groundout-to-airout ratio, and it's pretty damn sick.

Here's Mitchell talking about his night:



As referred to earlier, Alfredo Aceves made a rehab appearance. Here's video footage to prove it.





Also, former Yankees hero Orlando Hernandez is now a reliever with Harrisburg. Here's video footage of him facing Brewer and Austin Romine.



Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home