Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Back when I was a fan ...

On a whim last night, I dug out my ticket stubs to the six games I attended as a fan before I started covering the team in 2008. Here, for anybody who cares, are the results of those games, as well as a few details.

July 15, 2007: Alan Horne started and threw four innings, allowing five runs -- just two earned --and walked and struck out a pair. Manny Mayorson, Rob Cosby and Ryan Patterson each homered off Horne. Not his finest hour during a year he earned the league's top pitcher honors.

For me, though, the most memorable thing about this game was the humidity. This was the first time I'd seen a game at Waterfront Park, and the first game I'd seen on the east coast in 10 years, since this memorable affair at 161st and River.

I must have downed five lemonades that day, and I still couldn't beat the heat. Couple the conditions with the metal benches I was sitting in, and you've got a recipe for a very bad first impression.

July 18, 2007: I was so turned off after the first game that I ... came back three days later. It was a Phil Hughes rehab start, Omar Minaya and Brian Cashman were both in the stands. As I remember, Minaya signed for the fans, but nobody could come near Cashman. As it turned out, I was sitting just across from the charting pitchers that day, who I later found out were Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain.

Five past or future major leaguers were in the Thunder's lineup that day, including Colin Curtis, Jamal Strong, Matt Carson, Alberto Gonzalez and Juan Miranda. They went a combined 8-for-17 with a double (Miranda) and homer (Curtis).

August 5, 2007: I, apparently, was terrible luck for Alan Horne in 2007. The right-hander allowed eight hits and six earned runs over five innings. He fanned three, walked six and was taken deep by Oscar Salazar.

Juan Francia had 18 hits with Trenton that season, and I saw one sixth of them that afternoon. Noah Hall had Trenton's only extra-base hit, a double.

August 6, 2007: Another appearance by me, another Thunder loss. This time Dan McCutchen -- now with the Pirates -- gave up one run over five innings, but still took the L. Bowie's Oscar Alvarez outdueled him that afternoon, and made Oscar Salazar's second homer in as many days stand up.

Salazar, for the record, has 14 MLB home runs, including two off of Nick Blackburn, one off of Matt Garza and another off of Matt Capps.

September 6, 2007: Yet again, I see Alan Horne. This time, however, it's in the Northern Division Playoffs, and Horne pitched quite well. Kevin Whelan, however, did not.

Horne allowed a pair of runs in seven innings, but Andrew Pinckney's hit in the 13th inning did the Thunder in. Austin Jackson went 2-for-6 in this one and collected the team's only RBI. Gabe Lopez and Reegie Corona scored both Thunder runs.

Steven Jackson and Justin Pope contributed four scoreless innings in relief of Horne.

September 12, 2007: Noah Hall's single in the ninth brought home Colin Curtis with one of the most memorable runs in Thunder history. Curtis just got around the tag of Wyatt Toregas, giving Trenton a dramatic walk-off win en route to the Eastern League crown

Chase Wright spun seven solid frames, and was backed up by Michael Gardner and Scott Patterson, the latter of whom earned the win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home