Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Quotes from Dellin Betances, Naoya Okamoto and video of Brian Anderson

The news broke this morning about Dellin Betances hitting the DL with a blister on his right pointer finger. Mark Newman, the Yankees head of player development, didn't seem terribly concerned, saying he expected the pitcher to miss "a start."

He was unavailable before the game -- in the training room, where no media are allowed -- but I caught up to him afterward and got the lowdown on what happened and how he feels.

For what it's worth, his blister looks markedly different than the one on Manny Banuelos' left thumb. Whereas Banuelos' looks like a yellow, pus-y mess, Betances' looks like he simply Sharpied over part of his finger.

On whether he was surprised the team placed him on the DL: "It was their decision. I'm just going with whatever they tell me and the doctors tell me. Whenever they tell me to start throwing, I'll be ready."

On whether he thinks a particular pitch caused the blister: "I was throwing spike curveballs, that's what usually (puts stress on that area). It was just something on Monday that happened. I'll just play it out how it is."

On whether cold weather in New Hampshire had anything to do with it: "No, no. I'm from New York, so I'm used to it."

On whether he'd had a history of problems with blisters in the past: "No. I've never had a problem. I've never had a problem. It's just one of those things. It's unfortunate that it came this early, but it's just a little bump in the road."

On how they treated the blister when it first arose: "We've just been doing a lot of iodine. We're trying to not do too much the last couple of days, just to see how it plays, but I'm sure I'll be throwing here soon."

As for pitchers who are still active, there's Naoya Okamoto, who, along with Kei Igawa, is part of Trenton's tandem of left-handed Japanese relievers. Aside from the first two hitters he faced, Okamoto didn't have a particularly good day on Thursday.

He walked four hitters in an inning, and gave up the final two runs in the Thunder's 4-2 loss to Harrisburg. Here's what he had to say afterward.

On whether anything distracted him out there, leading to the hiccup with his command: “It’s what you saw out there. After two outs, I walked a few batters and that’s about it.”

On whether he lost his mechanics, or the feel for the ball in the cold, or was unnerved by Jose Pirela' error: "No. Not really. I just didn't really feel it today.

Finally, some video of Brian Anderson, the former White Sox first-rounder now pitching with the Thunder


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to thank you for your hard work and the incredible reliability for minor league info. Keep it up.

This is the first site I check out each day after Baseball America.

April 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home