Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Jesse Biddle's Big Day

As most of my readers know, I like baseball quite a bit. I like it so much that I'm willing to drive long hours on my days off to go catch extra games outside of my Thunder coverage. Monday was another one of those days.

Originally I had planned to check out Lehigh Valley in the morning and Scranton at night. Looking at the probable pitchers (Justin Germano vs. Tyler Cloyd in LHV and Chris Bootcheck vs. Ross Ohlendorf in Scranton), however, made me reconsider, especially when I saw that Jesse Biddle, the Phillies' No. 1 prospect, was scheduled to twirl in Harrisburg.

I'd say I made the right call. 

Biddle was perfect until walking Sean Nicol with one out in the seventh, and finished with seven frames of one-hit, two-walk ball with an overwhelming 16 strikeouts. He did it primarily by using pinpoint command of a fastball that sat between 88 and 92 miles per hour, a curveball that registered in the mid-60s, as well as flashes of a slider in the mid-70s.




As most of my readers also should know, I take a lot of video. Monday night was no different. I shot every pitch of Biddle's outing, as well as a few minutes of postgame interview. I created a highlight reel of all of Biddle's Ks (as well as the two doubles he hit) and have embedded it with the interview below. 

And while Harrisburg was quite a hike (three hours or so each way), my next journey will take me even farther. I'll be in Eugene, Ore. on Friday for what I believe will be Oregon's Tommy Thorpe vs. Stanford's Mark Appel, the latter being a probable choice for the first overall pick in June's draft. 

Brian McTaggart, who covers the Astros (who own the No. 1 pick), tweeted on Monday that Houston will be sending seven-time Cy Young winner and current special advisor to GM Jeff Luhnow out to put his eyes on several players the team feels worthy of being the first overall pick in the nation. So there's a pretty good chance I'll get to see Clemens at that game as well.

Wouldn't be a bad start to my weekend, that's for sure. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home