Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Game 123 postgame notes - Williams' debut

The Mason Williams era began for the Thunder Thursday night in a 6-5 loss to Harrisburg. Williams didn't start, but pinch-ran for Saxon Butler in the 8th and scored the Thunder's fifth run on a Carmen Angelini singe (check out the video here). Williams had a chance to tie the game in the ninth, but struck out swinging.

Had a brief chat with him after the game:

Q: Quite a situation for your first Double-A at-bat.

A: It was alright. I obviously had some first at-bat jitters. It’s over now, and the only thing I can do is get ready tomorrow to play.

Q: Did you think there was a chance you could pinch run?
A: Always. I knew I was starting, but I always knew I could pinch run, or do whatever I could to help us win the game.

Q: Did you raise your hand a little bit there in the 8th?
A: I’m always ready to go. Off the plane I was ready to go.

Q: How did it feel to score your first Double-A run? 
A: Good. At least I could do something to help the team in my first night hear. Obviously, it was my first night and I’m probably go to have a lot more to come.

Q: Nice playing in front of a bigger crowd than Tampa?
A: Drastically different than it is in the Florida State league, where you can hear crickets and conversations in the crowd. Definitely fun to be back playing in more of a baseball atmosphere, with crowds and fans and a lot more support here.

What can we say about Williams from his first game? Not a lot, other than that he really is fast. Good thing there are 19 games left.

In roster news, Graham Stoneburner is headed to Scranton. He was packing up his things and saying his goodbyes after the game. Good guy, good pitcher.

Also of note, Pat Venditte took the loss for the Thunder after giving up a run in the sixth, but rebounded (final line: 2IP, 3H, 1R, 1ER, 0BB, 3 SO). He also demonstrated his more side-armed right handed delivery. Here is what Tony Franklin said about that.


He’s got a little bit more of a slurve. If you are not on it, or you are a little too quick on it, there is a good chance you are going to swing and miss. I guess that’s what all those guys are out there are trying to do: produce swings and misses. So far so good. He dropped down quite a bit. He has a tendency to be a little high in the strike zone, he left one up tonight and it hurt him. Overall, Pat is going to be fine.

Also, Ramon Flores' hit-streak ended at 13 games. He was 0-for-3 with 2 walks.

More video of the evening can be found here, including Yeral Sanchez's two-run double.

Here is my Gary Sanchez profile, and here is our intern Billy Tharpe's gamer.

They are turning the lights off on me here at the stadium, so that's it for now. More soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home