Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Scout's Notes: Angelo Gumbs




I spoke with a scout yesterday afternoon (not the same one who I spoke with about Betances, Banuelos, Montero, etc.) about some of the kids in the lower levels, mainly with Staten Island. Mason Williams is obviously the big name on that team, but Angelo Gumbs, the Bombers' second-rounder from 2010, isn't far behind. 


At just 18 years old, he put up some very nice numbers against older competition in the New York-Penn League. He ranked No. 14 on Baseball America's list of the beset prospects on the circuit. Here's what the scout had to say about the young, athletic Mr. Gumbs. 

Overall: I like him. He was probably a guy I like a little better than most people that saw him. I think he's got a chance to be a major league average second baseman, offensive second baseman.

Intangibles: The best part about Angelo, to me, was the makeup. This guy really enjoys playing. He's got a smile on his face, teammates like him, and he plays his ass off. 

Offense: I like the swing. He's got some swing and miss in him, big swing. I think he's got to kind of find himself, so to speak, at the plate. For me, I think he's a guy that profiles as a major league second baseman, even on a first-division team like the Yankees. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home