Being January 8, it is exactly three months until the Thunder open the 2010 season at home against Erie.
To celebrate that occasion, here are a few tidbits from around Thunderland from the last week or so:
- Former Thunder hurler Josh Schmidt currently leads the Venezuelan Winter League with 71 strikeouts. He is also working as a starter down there, after being a reliever all his career, except for a spate of spot starts this season.
- As you may have noticed elsewhere, soon to be Thunder infielder Brandon Laird and his brother, current Major League catcher Gerald, were arrested over the holidays for their part in a brawl during an NBA game in Phoenix. That makes it three seasons in a row now that the Thunder have had a member of their team get in trouble with the law: George Kontos in 2008 and Austin Krum last season were the other two.
- Per Yankees VP of Baseball Operations Mark Newman, here are a few hints on what the Thunder team could look like come April.
- Christian Garcia will be ready to open the season, Wilkin De La Rosa will not.
- Jorge Vazquez will begin the season in Triple-A
- Shortstop is still "up in the air"