Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Scout's Notes - Cito Culver







I spoke with a scout yesterday afternoon (not the same one who I spoke with about Betances, Banuelos, Montero, etc.) about some of the kids in the lower levels, mainly with Staten Island. Mason Williams is obviously the big name on that team, but there's also Cito Culver, the Yankees' highly disputed top pick from 2010. 


At just 18 years old, he put up good numbers against older competition in the New York-Penn League. He ranked No. 14 on Baseball America's list of the beset prospects on the circuit. Here's what the scout had to say about the young, athletic -- and scrutinized Culver.


Overall: Cito is a guy I didn't see real good. For me, he's not a major league player, at least not a major league regular. For me, I'm not a big fan, but there are people definitely within the game and within his organization that like him a whole lot. 

Defense: I've heard good things about the glove -- I didn't see it that good. The body doesn't fit for me, the way it looks, especially out there at shortstop.

Offense: Didn't do much for me from either side of the plate. It's nice to be a young switch-hitter, but I don't like the way the swing works. It's what we call a high-maintenance swing -- there's too much that can go wrong with it. It's a loud swing with a lot of moving parts.

Room for Improvement: One of the reasons I like (the NYPL) is because you can never say never on those guys -- they're too young to rule out. ... I would be mildly surprised if he became a major league regular. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Diablo III Gold said...

case too neat pertaining to terms! :)
best wishes!

August 23, 2012 at 3:22 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home