Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Day 9 -- A rotation is named, trip wrap-up

I might be the only media member out there who likes spring training more than the regular season. Everything is so informal during the spring, and it's always helpful to see virtually every player in one place at once. I genuinely enjoy getting to the field at 8:30, watching warm-ups, running drills and BP, breaking for lunch and then watching a highly unorganized game until 4:00ish. 

Plus, the accommodations at the Howard Johnson, while not exactly plush, provide exactly what I need to get my job done with the greatest of ease. Quite simply, spring training is my favorite week (or so) of the year. 

Now, on to the baseball. Pitching coach Tommy Phelps told me after today's game that Thunder's rotation to begin the season will include the following five pitchers (though not necessarily in this order): 

- Nik Turley LHP
- Francisco Rondon LHP
- Matt Tracy LHP
- Zach Nuding - RHP
- Caleb Cotham - RHP

The obvious absence here is Jose Ramirez. He's dinged up a little bit and won't start the season with Trenton. He's slated to throw on Saturday (or so he told me the other day), so he shouldn't be too far behind. 

Plus, Nardi Contreras insinuated the other day that the Yankees were already considering holding him back to keep him away from the cold weather that awaits the Thunder in Portland and New Hampshire (high of 48 is slated for Portland on opening night). 

I wrote more about the rotation, plus a few words on Mark Montgomery and some notes from my final day here, in this piece for the paper. 

Here are a few videos I shot this afternoon, including some J.R. Murphy, Slade Heathcott and Tyler Austin: 





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home