Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy League (Update: League filled)

During a Twitter conversation about fantasy baseball with one of my followers, I came up with an idea. This may either be my greatest idea ever, or it will drive me completely insane. Or both.

I want to run a fantasy league for my followers, with one catch: The only players available in this league are Yankees minor leaguers.

This would do two things, I think:

1. It would be a lot of fun between friends with a common interest

2. It would a great way for people to learn more about their favorite team's prospects, beyond the upper crust.

Here's how it would work:

Because the player pool (at least until the middle of June) is limited to about 100 players, there would be a smaller number of teams, and a smaller number of players per team.

Initially, I'm thinking a rotisserie league consisting of six teams of 12 players, which leaves about 28 players to use as replacements in the case of players who land on the DL/are suspended/are traded.

I wouldn't play (privy to too much info), but instead would keep track of the stats and standings. I already check the box scores every morning for my Around The System posts, so it would only be a little bit more work.

Again, I don't want to go insane, so the stat categories wouldn't be too outlandish. To start, I'm thinking: Batting average, doubles, runs, home runs, RBIs; Wins, earned runs, home runs, strikeouts and walks.

The league would last through June 21, the South Atlantic League All-Star Game. If the response is good, and people enjoy the league, we'll do it again for the second half of the season.

That's all the info for now, but there will be more details on the transaction process, draft day, prizes, etc., as I get them.

Entry info: I've already got three people who want to play, so there's just three spots left. If you want to reserve a spot, shoot me an e-mail at jnorris@trentonian.com. The league will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

UPDATE: Well, that was quick. I have the three other participants, as well as two alternates. Again, if everything goes well with this league, I will do another one -- or, depending on demand, two -- for the second half of the season. Because the Staten Island and Gulf Coast League
Yankees will have started by then, those league(s) have the potential to be crazy.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home