Blogs > Minor Matters

Run by The Trentonian's Nick Peruffo, this blog will provide daily multimedia coverage of the Trenton Thunder.

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Scout's Notes - Bryan Mitchell



We heard all about the bats down at Staten Island this year -- Mason Williams, Cito Culver, Angelo Gumbs, Tyler Austin and Dante Bichette, just to name a few. You don't win an NYPL championship without at least a little bit of pitching, though, and the Baby Bombers were no exception. 

As far as the starting rotation was concerned, the biggest prospect was Bryan Mitchell, whom Baseball America ranked No. 23 among its top 30 Yankees prospects heading into the season. A scout I spoke with this week saw Mitchell this season, and here's what he had to say: 

Overall: I like him. I've seen him two years now. He's a guy who I think has a good arm, decent breaking ball and a change he's still got to put together. You look at his numbers, and they're not what they should be with his arm. 

Arm strength: I think he's got a really, really good arm, especially considering that league. I saw him (2010) 94-96, this year it was more 91-93, touching 94. He's got a good fastball. 

Future: He's probably a guy who ends up in a relief role. He just doesn't have the expansive repertoire nor the feel to pitch to start, I think, at the higher levels. I like it, I think it's a major league arm. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous D3 ITEms said...

Cool. I take advantage of the selection interviews. Appreciate your having one of these weblog

August 26, 2012 at 3:26 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home